Skip to main content

Access to healthcare in Winchester

General information about access to healthcare and some information more specific to Winchester

Given recent events in Ukraine this page has been adapted to include some information for Ukrainians to help them to navigate healthcare in the UK as new arrivals but most information on this page is relevant to all refugees.

In a recent press release, the UK Government announced that:

All Ukrainians arriving in England will be able to access NHS healthcare free of charge, including GP and nurse consultations, hospital services, and urgent care centres.

Access to healthcare in the UK

In an emergency, you should call 999 or visit your nearest Accident & Emergency.

In Winchester, the local A & E (Accident and Emergency) is at:

Royal Hampshire County Hospital

Romsey Road,



SO22 5DG 

There is a site map of the hospital available to download here

Finding a GP

In the UK, family doctors are called General Practitioners or GPs. You can speak to a GP about physical health problems or mental health problems.

You can search for a GP in your local area here 

The NHS provide information about how to register for a GP here

Anyone in England can register with a GP surgery. It’s free to register. No one should charge you for registering with a GP.

You can have a chaperone (someone with you when you see a doctor if you want to).

You can ask for an interpreter. It is free. You do not pay for an interpreter.

You can ask to see a female GP or nurse. There may not be one available immediately but you can ask if one is available.

You do not need proof of address or immigration status, ID or an NHS number to register with a GP/GP Practice. If you encounter problems registering with a GP you can contact Doctors of the World Clinic who provide advice to individuals who are experiencing difficulties registering with a GP.

You can access a digital GP access card for the NHS here

Clinic advice line: 0808 1647 686 (freephone) or email [email protected]

Doctors of the World also have some health information and resources translated into lots of different languages, including Ukrainian and Russian, Albanian, Cantonese, Dari, Farsi, Kurdish Sorani, Pashto and Arabic, in addition to a number of other languages.

Doctors of the World clinic advice line is open from 10 am to 12 midday, Tuesday to Thursday.

If you need support with your mental health there is some crisis support for people available from the Crisis Resolution Home Treatment Teams. This service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

If you feel that you need support from the Crisis team, please speak to your GP to request a referral. The contact details for the local  West HampshireTeam are here:

Tel: 01962 897726

Out of hours- 01962 897732

Email: [email protected]


Melbury Lodge,

RHCH site, off Queen’s Road,


SO22 5ES

If you need someone to talk to in confidence about your mental or emotional health or if something is worrying you or you are experiencing suicidal thoughts, you can call Mind Infoline or Samaritans, see details below.

  • Mind Infoline on 0300 123 3393 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm)
    For advice and support on a wide range of mental health problems. 
  • Samaritans free at any time, on 116 123
    For people experiencing suicidal thoughts.

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) are an NHS service that aims to help young people up to the age of 18. You can access information about referring to CAMHS as a young person, parent or professional here

Hampshire Youth Access have information about counselling, advice and support for children and young people across Hampshire.

Maternity Care 

All pregnant women are entitled to NHS maternity care.

In Winchester, if you are pregnant, you can access information about maternity services in Hampshire here

You can also register for maternity care here

This will notify the local midwifery team who will then contact you to arrange an appointment.

If you are non English speaking or are unable to notify the local midwifery team on line please call 07443 987711 for assistance.

Mama Academy have information available here about essential information for mums to be available in a range of different languages.

The NHS must not refuse access to maternity care. This includes women who do not have immigration status or who are unable to pay for care or have not paid for previous NHS care.

Maternity Action can advise you about your rights and entitlements to healthcare and refer you to specialist services. Calls to the advice line are free from landlines and mobile phones within the UK and do not appear on itemised bills

You can call Maternity Action for further information or advice on 0808 800 0041 (Wednesday and Thursday 10 am–12 noon).

Dental care 

You can search for an NHS dentist in your local area here 

You do not have to go to a dentist that lives close to you because dentists are not bound/limited to a local catchment area. You can find a dentist that is convenient for you and see if there are any appointments available for NHS patients.

If after contacting several dental practices you still can’t find a dentist accepting NHS patients, you can call NHS England’s Customer Contact Centre on 0300 311 2233.

Emergency dental care

If you need emergency dental care you can also contact NHS 111, who can put you in touch with an urgent dental service.

Borrowing a wheelchair/mobility equipment

If you require a wheelchair or need mobility equipment, the Red Cross hires out equipment for short-term use. Call 0300 456 1914 or visit the Red Cross here