Itchen College will be running Basic IT skills courses in Winchester shortly.
Itchen College Basic IT course. This course is for beginners and will give you the skills and confidence you need in IT.
Days and times: 17th, 18th, 24th, 25th, 31st October 2022, from 9:30am-2:30pm
Location: Winchester Club: Highfield Lodge, Worthy Lane, Winchester SO23 7AB
Contact: ltchen College Adult Education on 02380 435636 or email [email protected]
There is access to public computers in the Arc for free. You will need a library card to book. Refugees can register with the Arc for a library card for free just ask a member of staff to help you when you visit.
The Arc address is Jewry Street, Winchester, SO23 8SB
The Arc is open from Monday – Saturday: 9:30am – 5:00pm and Sunday: 11:00am – 5:00pm.
If you are struggling with access to IT equipment, here are some organisations that might be able to help:
- Solidaritech provide laptops, desktops, tablets and smartphones to people seeking asylum and refugees.
- Hope for the Young have an emergency fund to help with digital access.
- Social Biz have a campaign for digital inclusion helping refugees.
- Scottish Refugee Council have collected donations of laptops, get in touch to see if they are distributing them.
- You can search for organisations in your local area that may donate laptops on the Restart website
The following organisations may be able to help you develop your IT skills:
Learn My Way – Free courses on using a computer, browsing the web, sending an email and finding work online
Contact your local group to find out if there are specialist services in your local area to help you improve your IT skills.
Code Your Future is a coding school for refugees with a six month web development programme.
Techfugees organises events around the world “in an effort to generate tech solutions for and with displaced people” and help promote projects.
There are some resources available from BlueBottleBiz which are free to the CoS network but you do need to sign up for a free account (contact [email protected] if you are unable to access these):
Html and CSS
Code Your Future recommends the following for learning html and css:
From a computer/laptop:
- Join Khan Academy and complete Intro to HTML/CSS: Making webpages
- Complete the Codecademy HTML and CSS courses
From a smartphone:
- Join SoloLearn app and complete the modules on HTML and CSS Fundamentals.